Ham And Bean Soup
- 1 cup dried white beans
- 2 quarters water
- 1 bone from baked ham
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 parsley sprigs
- 1 large white onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
How to make it
- Cover beans with water and soak overnight.
- Drain beans and place in soup pot.
- Add water, ham bone, bay leaf, parsley and onion and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and partially cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add more water if needed.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Remove ham bone then cut meat off bone and return to the pot.
- Remove about 1 cup of the beans and a little bean liquid.
- Mash to a paste and stir this into pot to thicken soup.
- Add salt and pepper.