Buttermilk Almond Cherry Scones
- Time 20 minutes
- Serves 12
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c cold buttermilk
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 c sliced almonds
- 1 c dried cherries
- 1 tbsp orange zest
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
- Combine buttermilk and 8 tablespoons butter in medium bowl. Add to flour mixture. Mix with hands to form small mealy clumps.
- Add almond extract, almonds, zest and cherries to flour mixture, then mix a bit more until these are distributed throughout the dough.
- Using greased 1/4 c measure, scoop level amount of dough and drop onto parchment about 1 inch apart.
- Bake until tops are golden brown and crisp approx. 10–12 minutes.
- Brush freshly baked scones with remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Transfer to wire rack for cooling.