Tea Smoked Cornish Game Hens
- TEA SMOKED CORNISH GAME HENS
- 4-6 Cornish game hens
- ½ cup tempura sauce or lite soy sauce
- ½ cup cream sherry
- ½ cup minced green onions
- 3 T. sesame oil
- 1 T. chili oil
- 5 T. brown sugar
- 1 T. honey
- ½ t. cayenne
- 1 T. crushed garlic
- 2 T. minced ginger
- 4 T.fragrant Chinese tea leaves, like Jasmine or Oolong.
- Apricot or Mango Chutney
How to make it
- 1) Rinse the game hens inside and out.
- 2) Combine the other ingredients, except tea, to make a marinade.
- 3) Place the marinade on the hens and marinate 8-16 hours.
- 4) When you start the grill, remove the hens from the marinade and allow the hens to get toward room temperature. Prepare the grill for indirect cooking.
- 5) Pour the marinade in a saucepan, bring to a boil, and boil for 3 minutes.
- 6) Add tea leaves to ½ cup water. Cook in microwave for 1 minute.
- 7) When the grill is ready, add ¼ of the soaked tea leaves to the fire.
- 8) Cook game hens on indirect about an hour. Turn them every 15 minutes, adding more tea to the fire and basting with the marinade.
- 9) When the hens are cooked through put them directly over the coals to crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve one hen for each person. Accompany with mango or apricot chutney.