BUTTERY MIXED NUT BRITTLE
- Time 60 minutes
- Serves 24
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup butter, cut into bits
- 4 cups mixed raw nuts (I use walnuts, almonds, pecans and pine nuts)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/1-2 tsp. baking soda
- Non-stick spray
How to make it
- Spray two baking sheets and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, mix sugar, corn syrup and water.
- Cover and heat to boiling over medium heat.
- Add butter, stir until butter is melted.
- Insert candy thermometer.
- Over medium heat, cook without stirring until the mixture reaches 305 degrees (35 – 45 minutes)
- Gradually add nuts, keeping mixture boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and baking soda. Beat vigorously 15 seconds, being careful not to splatter.
- Immediately pour onto the two baking sheets. Spread evenly with two forks, until thin and fairly even thickness.
- Cool completely.
- Break into pieces.
- Store in airtight container (I refrigerate it)