Simple Sourdough Boule
- Time 35 minutes
- Serves 36
- 1 cup fed sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 - 2 cups all purpose flour, as needed
- 1/2 tbsp salt
How to make it
- Combine starter, warm water and bread flour in a large bowl, let stand for 8-10 hours.
- Stir in 1 cup of whole wheat flour, followed by the salt and remaining whole wheat flour (and the all-purpose if needed), until the dough starts to come away from the side of the bowl.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead about 10 minutes.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl, turning to coat.
- Cover bowl and allow to rise until doubled, about 2-3 hours.
- De-gas the dough gently and shape into a round.
- Place dough smooth-side down into a banneton or floured tea-towel lined bowl.
- Cover and let rise 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Turn dough out of the banneton or bowl onto a greased baking sheet.
- Slash dough 2-3 times, bake for 35-40 minutes, until loaf sounds hollow on the bottom when tapped.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.