Christmas Candy Canes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp red or green food coloring
How to make it
- Mix the sugar, corn syrup, water, and cream of tartar in large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Place a candy thermometer in the mixture, and cook without stirring until the thermometer reaches 265F.
- Turn off the heat and add the peppermint extract.
- Divide the mixture in half by carefully pouring part of it into another pan.
- Add the red or green food coloring to one of the pans.
- While waiting for the candy to cool, grease three cookie sheets, two as working space, and the third to provide a non-stick surface for the canes to cool.
- Butter your hands and use a buttered spatula to cut off a portion of one of the clear taffy. Have a helper do the same with the red or green taffy.
- Pull and fold the pieces repeatedly on your cookie sheet until they appear glossy and striped, then roll them into an 6-inch long rod.
- Make the top cane twist before setting it aside to cool on the third greased cookie sheet.