Old Fashioned Fudge
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups sugar
- dash salt
- 1 teaspoon light Karo syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
How to make it
- Combine chocolate, milk, sugar, salt and Karo syrup and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a rolling boil.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat until candy thermometer reads 236 degrees or until mixture forms a soft ball when rolled in cold water.
- (Cooking time varies with the stove, but it takes about 30 minutes for one pound.)
- Take off heat, add butter and vanilla, then place pan in sink filled with cold water.
- Beat until fudge is fairly thick and creamy.
- Pour quickly into a buttered 8x8-inch pan and cool.
- While still warm, cut into 1-inch squares.
- Do not refrigerate.