Cabbage And Beef Soup
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- Note: You can also use ground bison, turkey, chicken, pork or pork sausage meat taken out of the casings
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes or packets (I use low sodium)
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Note: You can reduce the sugar to your taste preference
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 quarts water, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 1 head of cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
How to make it
- Break the ground beef in chunks into a large saucepan.
- Note: You can saute the ground beef first or allow it to cook with the rest of the ingredients.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef bouillon cubes, carrots, onion, vinegar, sugar and pepper.
- Pour in 1 quart of water, and bring to a boil.
- Stir to gently break up the meat while heating.
- When the soup comes to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Pour in another quart of water, and return to a slow boil.
- Add garlic and cabbage.
- Simmer for 25 minutes, until cabbage is tender.
- Ladle into soup bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream on top ;)