Applesauce Drop Doughnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup milk
- oil for deep-fat frying
- additional sugar
How to make it
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in applesauce and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add the creamed mixture alternately with milk (the batter will be thick).
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of batter a few at a time into hot oil.
- Turn with a slotted spoon and fry until golden, about 1 minute on each side.
- Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while warm.
- Yield: about 5 dozen.