Jalapeno Corn Bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white or yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup fresh corn with 1/2 cup cream stirred into it
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup roasted, peeled, and chopped jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup grated sharp Cheddar or Jack cheese
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Use a black 9-inch skillet or 1 1/2-quart earthenware casserole to melt the butter in a 400° oven.
- Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients, then stir in the fresh corn, milk, oil, eggs, peppers and helf of the grated cheese.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and pour the batter into it.
- Distribute the remaining cheese on top and bake for 35 minutes.
- Best served very hot.
- To spice the bread up, add 1 teaspoon cayenne to the dry ingredients.
- This bread is excellent served with Roasted Garlic and Hot Chili Butter.
- Source:"The Tassajara Bread Book". by Edward Espe Brown