Classic Fish And Chips
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup beer (or sprite)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1-1/2 pounds cod or tilapia fillets
How to make it
- Place potatoes in a medium-size bowl of cold water for 1 minute then put in a strainer lined with cold towel. I like to keep things dry if I’m deep-frying.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Stir in the milk, beer (or sprite) and egg; until mixture is smooth. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oil in a large pot or electric skillet to 350F.
- Fry potatoes in hot oil until tender. Drain on paper towels.
- Dredge fish in batter, one piece at a time and immerse in hot oil. When batter is set, turn fish over and fry until golden brown.
- Note: Maintain the 350F temperature.
- Drain well on paper towels or on roasting rack.
- Fry potatoes again for 1-2 minutes for added crispness.
- Serve with malt vinegar or tartar sauce (recipe on my page). Enjoy!