Tuna With Whole Wheat Noodle Casserole
- 1-1/4 cups milk, 2% or if your watching calories, skim or 1%
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 7 oz. artichokes canned in water, drained, rinsed and chopped. Remove any discoloured leaves
- 6 oz. chunk white tuna in water, drained
- Note: I have also used SAM'S club canned turkey. If you have leftover chicken / turkey you can use it to replace the tuna or canned turkey.
- 4 oz. whole wheat pasta (elbow macaroni, wagon wheels or curls work well), cooked and drained (approx. 2-1/2 - 3 cups)
- 2 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (low-fat works just as well)
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped or 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 celery rib, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Nonstick spray
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Whisk the milk and flour in a large saucepan over medium heat until thickened and barely simmering, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in artichoke hearts, tuna, pasta, cheese, mustard, parsley, onion or onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Spray a 1 quart round casserole or soufflé dish with nonstick spray.
- Pour the contents of the pan into the casserole dish.
- Pack gently.
- If you like, you can sprinkle 1-1/2 cups crushed potato chips mixed with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake until browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.