Russian Blini-Buckwheat Pancakes
- 1 1/2 pkg dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 to 2 cups warm water
- 2 1/2 cups buckwheat flour ( or you could use half white & half buckwheat or even all white flour- see note at end of recipe)
- 1 to 2 cups hot milk
How to make it
- Dissolve yeast in the 1/4 cup warm water. Mix egg yolks with sugar, salt and melted butter.
- Stir in remaining water and add flour gradually blending smooth.
- Beat egg whites stiff and fold into the mixture.
- Cover bowl with cloth and let the mixture rise double in volume at room temperature - could be up to 2 hours plus.
- Just before making blini, heat milk and pour over the blini batter
- The amount of milk or liquid you add depends on the type of flour used.
- Buckwheat flour makes a thicker batter and white flour a thinner batter. )
- Mix well .
- The batter should be fairly fluffy in texture buit quite pourable.
- Let the batter rest/rise an additional 15 to 30 minutes,.
- Cook blini in a hot buttered pan or griddle.
- Ladle about 1/2 cup batter to make a 3 to 4 inch blini , or drop from a
- tablespoon for smaller blini.
- I suggest you do the smaller size blini as these pancakes may be very delicate depending on the type of flour you choose for the
- recipe and it is easier to turn the smaller ones.
- Serve blini with sour cream, melted butter or as desired.
- Note: 100% buckwheat flour pancakes have a thicker spongier texture than do blini made with all white flour or combinations of both types of flour.
- Buckwheat flour may be purchased at natural foods or health food stores.