Honey Mustard Fried Green Tomatoes And Fritters
- 1 /2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1Tbs honey mustard
- 2 Tbs cream, milk or buttermilk
- 2 large green tomatoes sliced evenly
- Oil to fry in skillet ( about 1/2 inch deep or less )
How to make it
- Slice tomatoes evenly and thinly ( but not paper thin)
- Mix dry ingdredients together.
- In another bowl mix eggs, milk product, and honey mustard and whisk well
- Dip tomatoes in egg mixture and then in dry mixture and carefully slide into hot oil ( oil should be wavy which is an indication it is hot enough )
- I use a stove top skillet with medium high heat.
- If oil is not hot, batter will fall off and tomatoes will be soggy, if too hot, tomatoes will burn
- Turn when golden brown on one side and cook to brown the other side.
- Drain on paper toweling.
- Now mix both leftover dry and wet ingredients to make a batter.
- Add a bit of milk if needed.
- Drop from Tablespoon into hot oil.
- These will fry quickly and turn to fry the other side when golden.
- Serve tomatoes and fritters with a honey mustard sauce if desired.
- Note: and if desired add some grated cheese to the flour mixture for a cheesey fried honey mustard tomato