Kasha Pilaf To Accompany Veal Shanks
- Time 20 minutes
- Serves 12
- 3 cups kasha
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
How to make it
- In a large saucepan, toast kasha over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until it darkens and starts to smell nutty, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add oil, heat for a few seconds, then add onion and sauté about 3 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in broth or water, add salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Cover pot, turn heat to low, and cook until kasha is tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.