- 1 ½ tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup onions, finely diced
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- ⅔ cup milk
- ½ cup rice (I use long grain)
- 2 ½ cups beef stock (reduced sodium if you can find it)
How to make it
- Heat oil in large skillet or saucepan. Add onions and cook gently until they become soft but not browned.
- Meanwhile, put beef stock in separate pan on low heat.
- Add salt, pepper, and mushrooms to onions. Cook mushrooms until soft.
- Add milk and rice and bring to a simmer.
- Add 1 cup of warmed beef stock and stir frequently until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add another cup and repeat.
- Add the final half cup and repeat.
- If you keep the heat set to medium, the rice should be cooked by the time the final half cup is absorbed. If not, add more stock and cook a little longer until rice is cooked through.