Bacon And Tomato Pasta
- 1/2 pound smoked bacon cut into 1" lengths
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups peeled seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup packed chopped fresh basil
- 4 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound dried rigatoni pasta
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
How to make it
- Place the bacon in a saute pan or skillet over medium low heat and cook until done but not crisp.
- Add the onion and cook stirring frequently until onion is soft and lightly golden.
- Combine the tomatoes and 1/2 cup the chopped basil in a food processor or blender and coarsely puree.
- Transfer to the bacon and onion mixture.
- Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a large pot bring the water to a rapid boil.
- Stir in the salt and drop in the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite.
- Meanwhile drizzle the heavy cream into the simmering sauce then add remaining chopped basil. Heat through then toss with the drained pasta.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese