- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup imported parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup imported romano cheese, grated
- 6 egg yolks from fresh jumbo eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
How to make it
- Heat milk and cream in a heavy bottom saucepan until it begins to simmer.
- Turn off heat.
- Slowly whip in cheese, then remove from heat.
- Place egg yolks in a seprate bowl and slowly whip in a portion of the hot milk and cream mixture.
- Slowly add egg mixture back back into remaining cream mixture.
- Place back on very low heat and continually stir until simmering.
- Take sauce off heat so it thickens.
- (This will increase temperature of egg yolks, known as tempering.)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over your favorite pasta.