New England Clam Chowder
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 slice hickory-smoked bacon, minced
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon The House Spice Blend (see below)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cans clams (6-1/2 ounces)
- 1-1/2 cups Half and Half
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2-3 medium potatoes, boiled , peeled and diced
- Clam Chowder House Blend Spices
- 2 tsps Fresh Rosemary (4 tsps Dried)
- 2 tsps Fresh thyme (4 tsps Dried)
- 2 tsps Fresh Basil (4 tsps Dried)
- 1 tsps Fresh Tarragon (2 tsps Dried)
- 1 tsps fresh marjoram (2 tsps Dried)
How to make it
- In a heavy-bottomed, dutch oven or soup kettle, sauté bacon, butter, onion, garlic and the house spice blend over low heat. Do not allow to brown.
- Drain clams and set aside, reserving the juice. Should be 1 cup.
- Slowly stir the flour and clam juices in the sauté mixture
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add Half and Half and simmer 20 minutes
- Add white pepper, potatoes ... . Heat to serving temperature. Cook a little longer if your potatoes are not tender. Add the clams right at the end to ensure that they don't get too tough.
- Serve immediately with fresh bread or crackers.