Vegetarian Beer Cheese Soup
- 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2/3 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken-flavored vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup beer (Octoberfest or darker beers are good)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
How to make it
- Heat butter in a heavy 5-quart soup pot.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add celery and carrots and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour.
- Add broth to soup pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add beer, Worcestershire, milk and cream.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for five minutes.
- Add sugar, mustard, fennel and cayenne and cook for one minute.
- Add cheese slowly, whisking constantly until the cheese melts and soup begins to bubble.
- If soup seems a little too thick, add additional broth or warm milk.
- Can be refrigerated and reheated if you slowly heat it on the stove, whisking constantly to keep the cheese from separating.