- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- --- ---- ---
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut crosswise in 1 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups) and cooked
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup medium cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
How to make it
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter; blend in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add milk all at once; cook, stirring constantly, till mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Arrange half the cooked asparagus and all the egg slices in bottom of 8x8x2-inch baking dish.
- Add half the white sauce.
- Top with remaining asparagus and sauce.
- Toss crumbs with butter; sprinkle atop sauce.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) for 30 to 35 minutes, or till heated through.
- Serves 6