- 6 ounces chocolate -- * see note
- 6 eggs -- separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash cream of tartar
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier
- 1/4 teaspoon orange peel -- grated
How to make it
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Add the sugar, vanilla and cream of tarter into the egg whites, set aside.
- Add the Grand Marnier and orange peel into the melted chocolate.
- Add this mixture to the egg yolks and combine lightly with a whisk.
- With a rubber spatula, combine the chocolate and the egg whites.
- Do it daintily, do not beat so you don't knock the air out of the egg whites.
- Spoon into individual serving dishes and refrigerate.
- May be topped with a drizzle of raspberry liqueur and whipped cream.
- NOTES : * Use good French vanilla chocolate for this, not chocolate chips and splurge on real vanilla, not imitation vanilla extract.