- Time 20 minutes
- Serves 36
- 1-3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon anise extract
How to make it
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt then set aside.
- Beat butter until soft then cream in sugar.
- Add egg, vanilla and anise extract mixing well then add in flour and mix until incorporated.
- Chill dough slightly for 30 minutes then divide dough in half.
- Return half to the refrigerator then divide the remaining half into three parts.
- Color one part pale pink, one part pale green and one part pale yellow.
- Roll each color into two 10” long ropes then place ropes on a baking sheet and refrigerate.
- Remove plain dough from refrigerator and divide in half and return half to refrigerator.
- Roll remaining half into a rectangle.
- Place one pink, one green and one yellow rope in rectangle with two on bottom and one on top.
- Wrap plain dough around ropes to form a casing.
- Wrap roll in plastic and refrigerate at least 45 minutes.
- Repeat process with remaining ropes and chilled dough.
- Slice chilled logs into 3/16" slices then place on ungreased baking sheets and bake 15 minutes.
- Cool on racks.