Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Time 30 minutes
- Serves 12
- 1 stick butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, thinnly chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- about 1lb fresh broccoli, chopped well
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups half and half
- 3/4 cup flour
- 16oz cheddar cheese, shredded(shred this yourself...it's worth it :)
- 4oz whipped or very soft cream cheese
- salt and pepper
- dash of hot sauce
- dash of nutmeg
How to make it
- In large soup pan or dutch oven celery, onion, red pepper and carrots in butter until soft.
- Add chicken stock and broccoli and cook at medium heat until broccoli is done(15-20 min)
- Season with salt and pepper(this will need a fair amount of each)
- Whisk together the flour and water to form a slurry
- Add slurry and cream cheese to soup and increase heat to thicken.
- Add cheese until melted.
- Add half and half, nutmeg, hot sauce and more fresh ground pepper and heat through.