Secret Ingredient Chili
- 1 pound of ground chuck
- 1 small onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 (15 ounce) can of light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (8 ounce) cans of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Optional toppings; sliced green onions, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped avocado or crushed corn chips.
How to make it
- Cook and stir ground meat an onions in a 5 quart pot over medium heat until beef crumbles and is no longer pink (about 7 minutes).
- Drain grease and return meat to the pan.
- To the pot add the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, chili powder, sugar, cocoa and salt.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Cover pot and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with desired optional toppings.
- Let simmer longer if you want it to be thicker. I let mine simmer for about an hour. (Also don’t forget to keep stirring)