Mixed Nut Brittle
- Time 12 minutes
- Serves 20
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3- cup water
- 4 -cups mixed nuts
- 2- teaspoons butter plus 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 1- teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 - teaspoon salt
How to make it
- in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water,
- cover and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- uncover and cook until a candy thermometer reads 290 degrees .......( soft crack stage)
- meanwhile grease a 15 inch x 10 inch x1 inch baking pan with 2 teaspoons butter ........set aside
- place nuts in 2 ungreased 15 inch x 10 inch x 1 inch baking pans bake at 325 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes ( keep warm until ready to use)
- remove sugar mixture from heat carefully stir in the nuts , vanilla, salt and remaining butter.
- quickly spread into prepared pan
- cool completely
- break into pieces
- yields 2 1/2 pounds .............