Black-Eyed Peas And Hog Jowl Or Ham Hocks
- Time 420 minutes
- Serves 8
- 2 pounds dried black-eyed peas
- 8 ounces hog jowl or 2 small to medium ham hocks
- 6 cups water water
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- salt, to taste
How to make it
- Pick over the peas and rinse well, then soak in cold water overnight.
- Place ham hocks or hog jowl in large kettle with water, bring to boil, and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain peas and add to the hog jowl.
- Add whole onion, crushed red pepper, sugar, and salt.
- Add more water if needed to cover peas.
- Cover tightly and simmer slowly 2 hours or until peas are tender.
- Serve with hot cooked rice and cornbread.