Coffee Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice, two or three drops
- 1/2 cup fresh whipping cream
- 1/4 cup coffee, brewed double strength
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground coffee
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sweet butter unsalted
- Pinch of salt
How to make it
- Place the sugar, water, and lemon juice in a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat to medium high until mixture comes to a boil.
- If sugar crystals remain, use a wet pastry brush to help them dissolve.
- Continue to boil the liquid until it turns a deep caramel color, but do not stir and do not allow to burn.
- This should take about five or six minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the coffee, cream, and coffee granules until all are dissolved.
- Because the caramelized sugar is very hot, stir carefully to avoid bubbles.
- Return the pan to medium heat and continue to stir the mixture until thoroughly mixed.
- Turn up the heat and boil until the mixture thickens, about five more minutes.
- Add the vanilla, butter and salt.
- Stir once more and pour into a warmed pitcher or gravy bowl, and serve.