Home Made Crescent Rolls
- Time 10 minutes
- Serves 24
- 2 (.25 oz.) pkg. active dry yeast
- 3/4 c. warm water
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 1/3 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teas. salt
- 4 c. flour< more if needed
- 1/4 c. butter softened
How to make it
- Place the yeast & water in a large bowl & let sit until dissolved.
- Beat in the shortening, sugar,eggs,salt,and 2 c. of the flour until very smooth.
- Mix in another 2 c. flour until the dough is smooth, adding up to a 1/2 c. more until the dough holds together and is smooth and not incredibly sticky.
- Knead on a smooth surface 10 - 15 times or until elastic.
- Cover and place in a warm spot. Let rise for 1 and 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and divide in half.
- Carefully roll out first half into 12 inch circle.
- Spread with 2 T. butter..
- Cut into 12 wedges and then roll up starting with the wide end.
- Place the rolls , point side down, on a greased baking sheet.
- Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Cover and let rise for an hour in a warm location.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10 - 13 minutes or until golden brown.