English Muffin Loaves
- Time 65 minutes
- Serves 16
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups flour (6 cups for oven baking)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups milk
How to make it
- Combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda in a mixer bowl.
- Heat water and milk together in a saucepan until very warm, 120 to 130 degrees F..
- Add liquid to dry ingredients and beat well.
- Stir in the rest of the flour, as necessary, to make a stiff dough.
- Spoon batter into two 8-1/2x4" glass loaf pans which have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal for microwave cooking method OR into two loaf pans, greased and sprinkled for oven baking.
- Let dough rise for 45 minutes OR until doubled.
- Microwave each loaf separately on High for 6 1/2 minutes OR bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- **Bread freezes well but does NOT store well.