Breakfast Egg And Sausage Casserole
- 12 ounces breakfast sausage - regular beef or pork or 50% less fat
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 4-1/2 cups bread cubes(sourdough works well) or croutons
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, reduced fat or not ;)
- 2 large whole eggs
- 4 egg whites OR 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 cups milk
- Note: You can add spinach, mushrooms, onions, green or red
- bell peppers, chopped zucchini... whatever you like.
How to make it
- Crumble sausage into a medium nonstick skillet.
- Cook over medium heat until nicely brown, breaking up into bits with spatula as it cooks.
- Sprinkle with poultry seasoning.
- Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with canola cooking spray and set aside.
- Add sausage to a large bowl along with toasted bread squares, cheese, mustard powder and salt, if desired.
- Add whole eggs, egg whites (or egg substitute) and milk to mixing bowl, and beat on medium-low speed until smooth and completely blended.
- Drizzle egg and milk mixture over the sausage and bread mixture.
- Stir to blend.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Smooth top evenly, cover with foil, then chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake, covered in foil, for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil, and reduce the temperature to 325 degrees.
- Bake for about 20 minutes longer or until set.
- Makes 6 servings and maybe more depending on the appetites.