Four Cheese Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices of bread (a country white or wheat bread is great)
- 8 slices Havarti (don't buy the pre-sliced cheese; just thinly slice off of a brick of cheese)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup grated Gruyère
- spreadable Chèvre cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped herbs (I like a combination of basil, oregano and parsley)
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced roasted red bell pepper (if you don't have roasted peppers, you can saute fresh peppers on the stove for a couple of minutes instead)
- ¼ cup spreadable butter
How to make it
- In a small cup, combine the butter and herbs and set aside to soften.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium-low heat.
- Spread butter herb spread on one side of each slice of bread.
- Coat the buttered side of the bread with the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the bread butter side down on a plate.
- Spread the Chèvre cheese on the unbuttered side of each slice.
- When the skillet is heated, place two slices of bread butter side down onto the skillet.
- Sprinkle the Gruyère on each slice of bread, sprinkle some of the tomatoes and peppers on top of it.
- Place two slices of Havarti on each slice.
- Cook until the Havarti starts to melt. This may take up to five minutes, but after about 3 minutes, check the buttered side of the bread to make sure it isn't burning.
- Turn heat down if necessary.
- When the cheese is melted, combine the two sides of the sandwich and begin the second sandwich.
- Allow both sandwiches to sit for a few minutes before eating.