Italian Meringue Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup egg whites (about 4 large eggs)
- 1 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to make it
- In medium saucepan, heat sugar and water until sugar dissolves and mixture boils.
- Boil until candy thermometer registers 243 degrees.
- In small mixing bowl, using electric mixter, beat egg whites to form soft peaks.
- With mixer running, very slowly beat in hot syrup.
- Continue beating until meringue is completely cool and forms soft peaks.
- In separate bowl, cream butter, shortening, lemon juice and vanilla until soft and light.
- Add meringue slowly to butter mixture, blending well.
- Frost sweet cakes after they have cooled.