How To Make Thai Green Papaya Salad - Som TamFrom allthai 4 years ago
- * 2 cups green papaya peeled and shredded (substitute: green hard mango or carrot). shopping list
- * 4 cloves garlic shopping list
- * 1-2 birds eye chilies shopping list
- * ½ cup long been or green bean, cut into ½ to 1 inch lengths. shopping list
- * 2 tbsp dried shrimp, rinsed and dried shopping list
- * 1-2 tbsp Thai fish sauce shopping list
- * 1 tbsp lime juice shopping list
- * 1 tbsp tamarind water/juice shopping list
- * 1tbsp palm sugar shopping list
- * 1-2 cherry tomatoes, quartered shopping list
- * 2 tbsp crushed roasted peanuts shopping list
How to make it
- Peel the papaya and rinse under running water, remove the seeds and shred the flesh with a grater and set aside.
- In the mortar and pestle add the garlic, chilies and beans, pound for just a minute.
- The add the papaya, dried shrimp, fish sauce, lime juice, palm sugar, tamarind water and tomatoes.
- Gently pound using a large spoon to mix as you pound until the palm sugar has melted.
- Put the ingredients on a serving plate then add the roasted peanuts on the top.
- Serve with cabbage wedges and sliced cucumber on the side.
- Note: You can leave out the papaya and combine everything else and use as a salad dressing over fresh cucumber and onions (onions optional).
- See the online You Tube video by Thai Chef Chanrat Karatna, nickname Air, and his staff not only how to make Thai Green Papaya Salad but about the ingredients at his cooking school Air's Thai Culinary Kitchen in Chiang Mai Thailand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YapdICsefk