Spinach In White Sauce
- Spinach In White Butter Sauce
- (Spinaci In Salsa Bianca)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 and 1/4 lb spinach
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 3 and 1/2 fluid oz dry white wine
- 5 oz butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Salt and pepper
How to make it
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the lemon and spinach and cook for about 5 minutes until the spinach is tender.
- Remove and discard the lemon, drain the spinach and squeeze out the excess liquid.
- Place in a serving dish and keep warm.
- Put the shallots, wine and (3 and 1/2 fl oz) water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Remove the pan from the heat, season with salt and pepper and leave to cool slightly.
- Stir in the softened butter and return to the heat, whisking constantly until thickened, then add the thyme.
- Sprinkle the spinach with the Parmesan cheese, and spoon the sauce over it.