Frozen Orange Juice Pie
- 1/2 cup sugar
- * 3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- * 1 1/3 cups frozen orange juice mixed with just one can of water
- * 3 eggs, separated
- * 2 tablespoons butter
- * 1 9-inch baked pie shell
- * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- * 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- * 4 tablespoons sugar
How to make it
- Mix sugar and cornstarch, add juice, and cook over moderate heat until fairly thick.
- Then boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour this mixture slowly over 3 slightly beaten egg yolks.
- Return to saucepan, and boil for 1 minute more
- . Stir until smooth.
- Blend in 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Pour filling into the baked pie shell and cool in the refrigerator while making the topping.
- Meringue topping
- Beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff and glossy peaks form, and all sugar is dissolved.
- Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to the edge of the piecrust.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until meringue is golden.
- Serve cold.
- Note: Before cutting a meringue-topped pie, dip knife in water. No need to dry.