Red Wine Or Sangria Cake
- 300 g sugar
- 70 g dark chocolate ( about 2 oz )
- 200 g butter at room temperature
- 170 ml red wine ( I used left over Sangria drained of fruit )
- 150 g flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs
How to make it
- Preheat oven 325F
- Chop up the chocolate in small pieces
- In a heavy duty ssauce pan , place chocolate, softened butter, sugar and wine.
- Cook and stir over medium to low heat until chocolate is dissolved and mixture is melted.
- Do not let boil!!
- Remove from heat
- Remove 5 oz from the mixture and set aside to use as the sauce
- Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk.
- Add the flour mixed with the baking powder and beat into egg mixture to make smooth
- Then add the wine mixture and beat till smooth
- Pour ( yes mixture will be thin ) into a greased 9 inch springform pan
- Bake in a 325F oven till set and toothpick in center comes out clean
- This will take anywhere from 35 to 60 minutes until cake appears set
- Remove cake to rack
- Carefully run blade of knife around edges and remove side of pan
- Place a plate under cooling rack to catch any drips
- Carefully pour remaining wine mixture slowly over hot cake
- Let cake cool at least one hour before slicing
- Serve room temp or chilled with a dollop of whipped cream
- Cake also freezes well