Mixed Nut Brittle
- Time 60 minutes
- Serves 10
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 - 4 cups any variety of nuts
How to make it
- Turn oven on at 200° F. for approximately 30 minutes
- Turn off when oven is warm.
- Butter 2 cookie sheets, 15.5" x 12 "; keep warm in oven.
- Mix baking soda, 1 tsp. water and the vanilla in small bowl; reserve. In 3 qt. saucepan combine sugar, 1 cup water and corn syrup.
- Cook over med. heat, stirring occasionally, to 240° F. on thermometer
- Stir in butter and nuts.
- Cook, stirring constantly on med. low heat, to 300° F. on thermometer.
- (watch carefully so mixture does not burn).
- Immediately remove from heat; stir in baking soda mixture making sure to blend completely.
- Remove cookie sheets from oven and pour half the mixture onto each sheet, quickly spread to form about 1/4 thickness.
- Cool completely before breaking into pieces.