Original Taco Salad
- 1 pound very lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small clove garlic, put through a garlic press
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 15-ounce can Ranch Style beans or chili beans drained
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion or green onion
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large head iceburg lettuce
- 1-1/2 cups slightly crushed Fritos
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
How to make it
- Brown the ground beef with the chili powder, cumin, garlic and oregano.
- Drain very well.
- Set aside and keep at room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine and toss the beans, tomatoes, onion, cheese, lettuce, Fritos and avocados.
- Add the browned meat mixture and toss to combine.
- Mix the lemon juice with the mayonnaise and stir until smooth.
- Pour mixture over salad and toss again.
- Serve immediately