Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Oatmeal Cookie ToppingFrom sbbny 7 years ago
- 6 large sweet potatoes (about 4 pounds) shopping list
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons heavy cream shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons packed brown sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice shopping list
- 1/4 cup sweet orange marmalade shopping list
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- For topping shopping list
- fourteen 3-inch crisp oatmeal cookies,(like HobNobs) broken into pieces (about 3 cups) shopping list
- ½ cup toasted pecans shopping list
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Combine butter, cream, salt, sugar, and sweet potatoes in large pot; cook, covered, over low heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes fall apart when poked with fork, 45 to 55 minutes.
- 2. Off heat, mash sweet potatoes in saucepan with potato masher, then stir in marmalade and gingerroot . Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread potato mixture evenly in baking dish. Potato mixture may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring potato mixture to room temperature before proceeding.
- Make topping:
- In a food processor grind cookies fine. Add the pecans and pulse 3-4 times. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles soft cookie dough. Wrap topping in wax paper and chill until firm, about 2 hours. Topping may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.