Apple-Gruyere French Toast with Red OnionFrom jakartainflames 5 years ago
- 2 1 3/4-inch-thick slices challah bread from middle of loaf shopping list
- 3 ounces grated gruyere cheese (about 3/4 cup) shopping list
- 1/4 small red onion, very thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
- 3/4 cup whole mil 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 small apple, cored, quartered and very thinly sliced shopping list
- Fried eggs, for serving, optional shopping list
How to make it
- Place one slice of bread on kitchen counter, the bottom crust nearest you. Cut into bottom crust, parallel to counter, to make a pocket. Do not cut all the way to top of slice; bread should remain attached there. Tuck half the cheese and onion slices in pocket. Repeat with other slice.
- In a bowl, whisk together the ggs, milk, salt and pepper. Pour custard into a wide, shallow dish. Soak stuffed bread in custard, turning once halfway through, until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half the apple slices in a single layer and cook for 1 minute. Place bread slices in pan, covering apples. Arrange remaining apple slices on top of bread; cook 1 minute more.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for 5 minutes. uncover and increase heat to medium; cook until bottoms are golden, about 2 minutes. Carefully turn bread and apples and cook until bread is golden and cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve topped with fried eggs if desired.
The Cookjakartainflames Jakarta, Indonesia
- Not added to any groups yet!