Baked Ziti That's Actually Good!From chelzthb91 5 years ago
- 15 ounces (dry) whole wheat penne pasta shopping list
- 32 ounces red pasta sauce (best if a combo of 1 jar spicy marinara and 1 jar regular red sauce) shopping list
- 1/3 cup cream cheese shopping list
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 2 eggs yolks, beaten shopping list
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 4 cups Italian style shredded cheese shopping list
- 1 ounce fresh basil, sliced to thin strips shopping list
- +/- powdered red pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 12x8 glass baking pan and set aside.
- 2. Cook pasta to al dente tenderness. Salt boiling water prior to adding pasta. Drain when fully cooked and set aside.
- 3. Meanwhile, heat the sauce in a small pot on the stove top over medium heat. Stir in cream cheese, mixing constantly for 2 to 3 minutes until melted. Mix in olive oil. Add red pepper powder to taste. 4. Remove from heat and allow to cool for approximately 5 minutes. Combine with the egg yolks, chopped tomatoes, and ½ cup of the shredded cheese. Combine sauce with pasta, making sure that they are evenly mixed.
- 5. Layer ½ of pasta mixture in the pan, then half of the cheese, then the rest of the pasta, add the basil, and top with the remaining cheese.
- 6. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, approximately 15 minutes.
The Cookchelzthb91 Haymarket, VA
- Not added to any groups yet!