Simple Vegetable CurryFrom pleclare 6 years ago
- 1 TB vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 tsp brown mustard seeds shopping list
- 1 med. yellow onion,diced shopping list
- 1 c long-grain white rice shopping list
- coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 TB red curry paste shopping list
- 1 c unsweetened coconut milk shopping list
- 1 sweet potato(about 3/4 lb)peeled and cut in 1" pieces shopping list
- 1 small cauliflowe,cut in florets shopping list
- 1 can (15.5 oz)chickpeas,drained and rinsed shopping list
- fresh cilantro,for serving shopping list
How to make it
- In med. saucepan,heat 1 tsp oil over med-high. Add mustard seeds and half the onion and cook,stirring often till onion is soft,3 mins. Add rice,stir to combine. Add 1-1/2 c water,season with salt and pepper,and bring to boil. Cover,reduce to simmer,cook till water is absorbed and rice tender,about 15 mins. Remove from heat and let stand 5 mins. Fluff with fork before serving.
- Meanwhile in large Dutch oven or heavy pot,heat 2 tsp oil over med-high. Add remaining onionand cook,stirring often,until soft,3 mins. Add curry paste and stir till fragrant,about 1 min. Stir in coconut milk and 1 c water,bring to boil. Add sweet potato and cauliflower and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to med,cover and simmer till veggies are tender,10-15 mins.
- Stir chickpeas into curry and increase heat to high. Simmer rapidly until liquid reduces slightly,2 mins. Serve curry over rice with cilantro.
- Try:Add cubed extra firm tofu or skinless,boneless chicken breast along with the veggies,if desired.