French Lentil SoupFrom wholehealthrns 3 years ago
- 1 pound French green lentils, picked over and rinsed shopping list
- boiling water shopping list
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving shopping list
- 3 large onions, chopped shopping list
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 large leeks, white and tender green parts only, chopped shopping list
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 8 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch dice shopping list
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice shopping list
- 3 quarts chicken stock or low-sodium broth shopping list
- 1/4 cup tomato paste shopping list
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or red wine vinegar shopping list
How to make it
- In a large heatproof bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onions, garlic, leeks, 1 tablespoon of salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons of pepper and the thyme and cumin and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add the celery and carrots and cook until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock, tomato paste and lentils to the pot. Increase the heat to high, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce the heat to moderate and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender, about 1 hour. Stir in the red wine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of Parmesan.
- Note - Lentil soup often thickens as it stands, so it can be helpful to add additional broth to leftovers.
- ~3/4 – 1 cup serving per day for Standard Process Purification.
People Who Like This Dish 1
- wholehealthrns Longmont, CO
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookwholehealthrns Longmont, CO
- Not added to any groups yet!