Mean Collard GreensFrom charlestonchefdave 3 years ago
- 1 Full Head of collard greens Washed Very Well and Chopped (if you can't find a full head, get a bag in the produce dept pre-washed and chopped) shopping list
- 1 ham hock (after the holidays if you had a ham, use the ham bone) shopping list
- 4 Cups of chicken broth (32 oz Box) shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons of cider vinegar shopping list
- 1 Tablespoons of sea salt or kosher salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoons of red pepper flakes shopping list
How to make it
- Set your Slow Cooker/Crock Pot or Stock Pot on Med (if no med start on high)
- Wash your Collards very very good ya'll!
- Then chop down into small squares, start vertical then go horizontal
- Place Ham Hock in the cooker before the greens
- Add Collard Greens to Cooker or Stock pot
- Cover with Chicken Broth, you can add a little water or more stock if needed, you don't have to cover completely just to where you can see coming up.
- Add vinegar, pepper flakes and salt
- Allow to come to a slow boil and reduce heart to Low
- Cook for 3-4 hours (you will smell them cooking) or until tender and flavorful
- Serve with your favorite Hot Sauce or Vinegar Based Pepper Sauce. If you don't like it spicy, just add a little cidar vinegar and mmmm mmm mmmm.
The Cookcharlestonchefdave Charleston, South Carolina
- Not added to any groups yet!