BaklavaFrom Shorty0881 5 years ago
- - For the syrup shopping list
- - 1 Cup sugar shopping list
- - 1 Cup honey shopping list
- - 3/4 C water shopping list
- - 1 TBSP lemon juice shopping list
- - 2 cinnamon sticks shopping list
- - 1 (1 in) strip lemon zest shopping list
- - pinch ground cloves shopping list
- - pinch ground cardamom shopping list
- - For the filling and Dough- shopping list
- - 1 lb walnuts or a mix of your choice of nuts shopping list
- - 1 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- - 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- - 2 sticks unsalted butter shopping list
- - 1 lb phyllo, thawed according to package directions shopping list
How to make it
- 1) To make the syrup- Combine all above syrup ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon until sugar is dissolved. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until syrup is slightly thickened about 10 minutes. remove cinnamon sticks and lemon zest and set syrup aside to cool. Chop nuts and combine in a mixing bowl with cinnamon and salt and stir well. Melt butter over low heat and brush melted butter onto a 13 by 9 pan ( I just used bakers joy)
- 2) Open package of Phyllo dough and lay the thin sheets onto a clean work surface. Measure the sheets. If the type you have purchased measures about the same size as the baking dish you are using, then move onto next step. If not then you need to cut them to the same size as your dish and discard any scraps. place one sheet of Phyllo dough into bottom of baking dish and lightly brush with some melted butter. repeat this step with 6 more sheets of phyllo dough for a total of 7 sheets. measure about 3/4 c of nut mixture and spread evenly over butter phyllo in pan. continue layering 7 sheets of buttered phyllo dough and nut mixture till you have no more remaining nut mixture. layer remaining phyllo dough buttering each sheet in between on top of pan till no more sheets of phyllo remain.
- 3) Use a sharp knife to make 4 cuts lengthwise through the layered phyllo dough at 1 1/2 inch intervals (you should end up with 5 lengthwise strips 1 1/2 inch wide) Now use your knife to cut diagonally across the strips at 1 1/2 inch intervals to form diamond shapes. You should now have about 36 diamond shaped pieces. Bake in oven until golden brown appro 40 minutes. Use oven mitts to remove baklava and set on wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Using a ladle or measuring cup slowly drizzle cooled syrup onto warm baklava. Allow to stand for several hours before serving.
The CookShorty0881 Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Not added to any groups yet!