Beef Short Ribs Braised In Root BeerFrom otterpond 5 years ago
- 2lbs beef short ribs shopping list
- 2 T. olive oil shopping list
- 1 onion, medium, cut into 1″ wedges shopping list
- 3 stalk celery (8″) cut into 1″ pieces shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, cut into halves shopping list
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme or 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary shopping list
- ½ tsp. cumin seed shopping list
- 3 c. low sodium beef broth shopping list
- 1 can diet root beer (I use Hansen’s, sweetened with Splenda) shopping list
- 2 star anise (This is a Chinese spice……optional, but good if available) or 1/2 tsp. 5-Spice Powder is a good substitute) shopping list
- Pinch black pepper shopping list
- 3 drops liquid sweetener shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 300º. Season ribs with a pinch of black pepper. In 8 qt. Dutch oven, heat olive oil. Brown ribs on all sides in batches. Transfer meat to a plate and pour off excess oil. Add vegetables and spices. Cook 3-4 minutes, scraping brown bits loose from the bottom of the pan. Return meat to pot and add broth and root beer. Bring to a simmer, cover tightly and place in oven. Bake until meat is almost falling off the bones (about 2 hours). Using a slotted spoon, transfer ribs to a platter. Skim off and discard as much fat as you can. Boil over medium-high heat until liquid is reduced by about half. Add meat back and spoon liquid over ribs so as to “glaze” them with the sauce. Simmer about 5 minutes and serve. Salt to taste at table.
- These would be great with my Chipotle “Sweet Potatoes” or a batch of well-seasoned Mashed Cauliflower. For those not on Atkins, it’s great with steamed rice.
The Cookotterpond Windermere, FL
- Not added to any groups yet!