Creamy Barley RissotoFrom chrisgil10 3 years ago
- 4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme shopping list
- 1 cup pearled barley (7 ounces) shopping list
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for serving shopping list
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- freshly ground pepper shopping list
How to make it
- 1.In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a simmer over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
- 2.In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and thyme and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 6 minutes. Add the barley and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of the warm stock and cook, stirring, until nearly absorbed. Continue adding the stock 1/2 cup at a time and stirring until it is nearly absorbed between additions. The risotto is done when the barley is al dente and suspended in a thick, creamy sauce, about 35 minutes. Stir in the 1/2 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano and the butter and season with salt and pepper. Serve at once, passing more cheese at the table.
The Cookchrisgil10 Nowhere, Us
- Not added to any groups yet!