Classic Vegetable Rice SoupFrom amysf 4 years ago
- cooked rice (or other grain of your choice). shopping list
- 1 Tbs. olive oil shopping list
- 1 med. onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, chopped shopping list
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed shopping list
- 3 sprigs of parsley shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, or 2 tsp. fresh thyme shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- Small handful peppercorns shopping list
- water shopping list
- 2 medium waxy potatoes, cut in 3/4 inch cubes shopping list
- Top with: sliced avocados and/or grated Parmesan (optional) shopping list
- Garnish: Chopped fresh herbs (basil, thyme, dill, or tarragon) shopping list
- Make It Your Own: Add any of the following to the soup: chickpeas, cannellini beans, zucchini, greens. shopping list
How to make it
- Heat a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add the olive oil. Then add the onion, celery, and carrots. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so. Then add the parley sprigs, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper. Add enough water to completely cover the vegetables, and bring to boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat to low and partially cover. Simmer very gently for 1 hour.
- Add the potato and cook until the stock is well flavored and the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes
- Spoon rice (or other grain) into your soup bowl and ladle the soup over the grain. Top with cheese and avocado slices (if using) and sprinkle with fresh herbs.