Lentil-bean ChiliFrom takopoly 2 years ago
For Pre-cooking the Lentils
- 1 cup dry puy lentils shopping list
- 2-3 cups beef or veggie stock shopping list
- 1 small carrot shopping list
- 1/2 an onion shopping list
- 1 stalk celery shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- salt & pepper (to season) shopping list
For the chili
- 1 tbsp oil (grapeseed or similar) shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 28 ounces whole peeled tinned tomatoes shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 2 tbsp chili powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried basil shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 2-3 tsp fajita or taco seasoning (optional; I use homemade stuff if it's on hand) shopping list
- 19 oz tin red kidney beans, rinsed shopping list
- 19 oz tin black beans, rinsed shopping list
- precooked puy lentils (see above) shopping list
How to make it
Precooking the Lentils
- Put lentils in medium saucepan.
- Add 1/2 onion, carrot (chop in half), celery (chop in half) and 2 bay leaves.
- Cover with stock (about 2 inches above lentils).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, adding more water if needed.
- Simmer another 5-10 minutes, until most of the stock is absorbed and lentils are al dente.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Turn off heat, remove vegetables and bay leaves, and set aside.
Making the Chili
- In large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until golden.
- Add garlic -- DO NOT BURN! -- and cook another minute.
- Add tomatoes, water, and next 7 ingredients (up to & including the fajita seasoning, if using).
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for at least an hour, adding more water if necessary.
- Then add lentils, kidney beans and black beans, and simmer for up to 30 more minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and diced green onions, if desired, and skillet cornbread.
The Cooktakopoly Victoria, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!